I love this pan, it’s inherited and probably 30 years old now… I think it’ll outlive me too!
Ingredients (serves 4):
1 large onion
2 small carrots
2 sticks celery
1 can chopped tomatoes
2 punnets (600grams approx) fresh ripe vine tomatoes
1 red pepper
1 tsp mixed herbs
1 tsp chilli flakes
1 tsp marigold vegetable bouillon dissolved in 600 mls hot water fresh parsley to garnish
2 tablespoons olive oil
1. Heat the olive oil in a large pan.
2. Chop the onions, celery, carrots and pepper and add to the pan. Soften for around 10 minutes.
3. Add the tomatoes from the punnet, the chilli, salt and pepper and give a stir.
4. Add the tinned tomatoes and 1/2 cup red lentils.
5. Top up with 600mls vegetable stock and simmer with the lid on the pan for 15 minutes.
6. Check that the veg is soft and the lentils are beginning to dissolve, then use a hand blender to liquidise the soup.
7. Garnish with fresh chopped parsley. The soup is lovely without the parsley, so leave it out if you prefer. I thought it looked better for the photo though!!
Serve with a side of cheesy toast.
Love to know how this goes!