Sticky figs, sweet red onions, and creamy feta… This is an autumnal salad, or maybe it’s a rice bowl? Either way a side of rocket would be delicious, or just as it is with the rice…
Ingredients for 2:
1 large red onion
3 ripe figs
2 tsp maple syrup
1 tsp balsamic vinegar
large handful of chopped coriander
large handful of chopped green olives
1 cup whole-grain basmati rice
a sprinkling of pumpkin seeds
salt & pepper
2 tablespoons olive oil
1. Bring a pan of salted water to the boil and add 1 cup of whole grain basmati rice. Cook until soft (around 20 mins). Meanwhile…
2. Put the pumpkin seeds on a baking tray in a preheated oven (180degrees) for 5-7 mins, or until you hear them pop!
3. Heat the olive oil in a pan and add the chopped onions. Soften for a few minutes.
4. Quarter the figs and add to the pan with 2 teaspoons maple syrup, 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar and a good pinch of dried rosemary. Allow the figs to soften.
5. Add the coriander, olives, popped pumpkin seeds and feta to the pan. Stir through until the feta just begins to melt and remove from the heat.
6. Drain the rice and stir the onions and fig mixtures through it in a large bowl. Salt and pepper to taste. Serve with a side of rocket maybe?
I think this mixture would make a nice tart too! Let me know if you try it?