This is a beautifully warm, earthy salad… rich in flavour and texture. I’ve got an abundance of gem squash at the moment thanks Jude, my allotment neighbour and still plenty of beetroot… Oh beetroot… In the words of Tom Robbins; ‘The beet is the most intense of vegetables…the murderer returned to the scene of the crime…The beet is what happens when the cherry finishes with the carrot…Rasputin’s favourite vegetable, you could see it in his eyes”…
Phew. Ok. So if we’re all back in the room I shall continue…!!
Ingredients for 2:
2 purple carrots
4 small beetroots
2 slices gem squash (Chopped) Sprig of Thyme
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tsp maple syrup
pinch sea salt
2 large handfuls baby spinach
100g Shaved raw red cabbage
2 handfuls pine nuts
1. Chop the carrot (length-ways and half), beetroot (into 4) and gem squash in to bite sized chunks.
2. spread the veg out in a baking tray and drizzle with the olive oil. Sprinkle with sea salt and throw in the thyme. Give it a shimmy.
3. Roast at 200C for 25 minutes (or until the beetroot is mostly soft)
4. For each plate place a handful of spinach and 50g shaved raw red cabbage.
5. Add the roasted veg to the spinach and drizzle the juices over the salad.
6. Sprinkle pine nuts over each salad. This makes such a great meal… the flavours really do demand attention so it’s one to savour! Yum! I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!
One thought on “Roast Caramelised Autumn Veg Salad aka A Beetroot Affair to Remember”