This is truly indulgent, especially the day after risotto! But what can you do when there are leftovers that need to be used up? And, anything in breadcrumbs goes down well with the kids…
I haven’t made Arancini other than with leftover risotto, and honestly I think this is the best way, it’s full of flavour, sticky and easier to handle… It’s a great lunch or evening meal served up with these spicy tomatoes and beans.
Ingredients for the Arancini:
Around 200g leftover risotto (see risotto recipe)
1 egg Handful plain flour Dessert bowl of breadcrumbs (see breadcrumbs recipe)
1 heavy-duty pan for deep-frying
1/2 ltr olive oil
Method for the Arancini:
1. Heat the pan with the oil until hot. After a few minutes test the heat by dropping a small piece of bread in. It’ll float and fry if the oil is hot enough.
2. Take dessert spoons of risotto rice and roll between the palms in to a ball.
3. Roll in flour, then beaten egg, then coat in breadcrumbs and drop in to the pan of oil for around 3 minutes (or until the breadcrumbs are browned and crispy all over)
4. Remove from the heat to a bowl lined with kitchen paper.
Ingredients for the Spicy Tomatoes and Beans:
1 Can black eye beans
1 can tinned tomatoes
1 red onion
2 garlic cloves
1 tsp coriander seeds
1 tsp fennel seeds
3 juicy ripe tomatoes (chopped)
Salt & Pepper
2 tbsp olive oil
Method for the beans:
1. Heat the pan with the olive oil .
2. Chop the onions and garlic and soften for a few minutes before adding the fennel & Coriander seeds
3. Chop the ripe tomatoes and stir through the onions.
4. Add a drained tin of black eye beans and tomatoes.
5. salt and pepper to taste, and bubble until hot and tender.
Serve together, eat the arancini with your hands and dollop the beans on after each bite…It’s yummy and carby and definitely my kind of comfort food! Let us know how you get on with this one? It’s definitely worth keeping some risotto back for…