I love chickpeas… my kids love chickpeas and I use a lot of them. It’s minor panic time if there aren’t chickpeas in the house! Oooo they’re just little pods of hearty nourishment, and they’re so versatile! Apart from houmous, which I keep a vat of in the fridge always, They make a great soup and really beef up a salad too… We had this salad with our Harissa Roast Chicken, but it stands alone as a quick, healthy lunch too…Iron rich, great for the blood and full of vitamins says BBC Good Food.
Scroll down for a classic Popeye moment…
Ingredients (serves 4 as a side or 1-2 for lunch):
1 can chickpeas (drained)
1/2 bag baby spinach
Juice 1/2 lemon
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
Salt & pepper
Generous pinch of cumin
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180C
2. Drain and rinse the chickpeas & add to a roasting tin.
3. Sprinkle the chickpeas with salt, pepper, a generous pinch of cumin and a drizzle of olive oil. Shake them up so they’re fully coated.
4. Place the roasting tray of chickpeas in the oven for 15 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, add the spinach to a large dish and squeeze over the juice of 1/2 lemon, 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil and a crack of black pepper if you fancy.
6. When the chickpeas are roasted, they’ll be warm, slightly drier, some may have split but still soft, add them to the spinach leaves.
Once you’ve tasted roasted chickpeas, there’s no going back! Plus you’ll be giving Brutus the twister punch all afternoon! Here’s what happens to Popeye when he eats spinach…