This was a fridge raiding meal the day before the shopping arrived, so strictly speaking it’s not a ‘green curry’ proper… but for me it has enough of the elements to make it as good as! And if you close your eyes and put on Moby’s ‘Play’ album then you’re in Thailand c.1999! (Scroll down for a quick blast of ‘porcelain’ from that album) Ahhh, the memories… (Take a moment) OK, back to business! It’s very quick to make, hearty as it is, but could be beefed up for the weekend if you add chicken, prawns or a side of spring rolls…
4 cloves garlic
1 thumb ginger (grated)
1 green birdseye chilli
1 stick fresh lemongrass
2 tsp ground turmeric
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tin chickpeas (drained)
1 small butternut squash
1 can coconut milk
1 bunch fresh coriander
salt & pepper
1 cup wholegrain basmati rice
2 tbsp coconut oil
1. Heat the coconut oil in a large pan on the hob
2. Finely chop the onion, crush & chop the garlic, de-seed and chop the chilli and add to the pan. Soften the veg but be careful not to burn.
3. Peel & chop the butternut squash in to small chunks, approx 1″ squares. Add to the pan.
4. Slice the lemongrass in half lengthways and add to the pan.
5. Add the ground coriander, turmeric, salt & pepper and stir to coat the veg.
6. Add the coconut milk & the drained chickpeas, and allow to simmer until the butternut squash is soft. Add water if liquid reduces. Shortly before the rice is ready, roughly chop the coriander and stir through the curry.
7. Meanwhile, bring a pan of water to the boil on the hob and add the rice. Simmer for around 15-20 minutes or until the rice is soft.
8. Drain the rice and serve covered in the curry!
The base of spices and addition of coconut milk could be a great base for any veg that need using up, in particular green veg like green beans or broccoli would be lovely, but any type of squash, or cauliflower would work too.
For more frugal food ideas, and to get involved in the #creditcrunchmunch blog hop visit Elizabeth’s Kitchen Diary, Fab Food 4 All and Fuss Free Flavours
Powered by Linky Tools
Click here to enter your link and view this Linky Tools list…