Chicken Schnitzel and Sauerkraut are definitely soulmates… Each stands alone, but together they are a power couple of deliciousness. There’s a reason that they’re a classic combination and even if you think you don’t like one, the chances are, that together you’ll love them… The Schnitzel-Sauerkrauts.
Ingredients (Serves 2):
2 free-range organic chicken breasts
2 large handfuls of breadcrumbs
Sprinkling of plain flour
2 large handfuls of watercress
2 handfuls toasted pinenuts
4 heaped tbsp sauerkraut
2 tbsp olive oil
1. Heat the olive oil in a pan on the hob. Beat the egg in to a wide bowl and have the breadcrumbs ready in another bowl close by.
2. Slice the chicken breast open length-ways (along the natural division of the meat).
2. Cover with cling film and bash until flat with a rolling pin. The chicken breast will almost double in size…
3. Lightly sprinkle and rub in plain flour, coat in egg mixture and breadcrumbs.
4. Add to the pan and fry on both sides for around 5 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through and the juices run clear.
5. In a salad bowl add the watercress, chopped avocado & sauerkraut.
6. When the chicken is ready, remove from the pan and add the pine nuts. Toast until lightly browned.
7. Slice the chicken and turn through the salad, sprinkle with pine nuts, serve & savour…!