This is a really warming, salty, hearty salad, the kind of salad that winter evenings call for… We spent the morning hiking around Box Hill, about 6 miles in all up and down, a bit of a mash up of the stepping stones walk, box hill hike, juniper top trail and happy valley trail… It was windy, cold and beautiful. The views are stunning, the countryside is pristine and we were absolutely (almost literally) swept away. Daphne the dog, still slightly caked in mud, is asleep still… So this evening, although we both wanted something hearty to eat, we also wanted something healthy. So here’s a warming tasty salad, full of earthy goodness, perfect for a winter’s evening…
Ingredients (serves 2):
2 large handfuls spinach
1 pointed beetroot (or small beetroot)
1 thick end of bread (stale is good, cut in to 1″ cubes)
1 large potato (cut in to 1″ cubes)
4 large cloves or 6 medium cloves of garlic
1/2 red onion
1 large handful pumpkin seeds
1/2 thumb ginger
1 red chilli
1 small bunch coriander
1 tbsp coconut oil
2 tsp maple syrup
Salt & Pepper
a few shaves of parmesan
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180C.
2. Cut the potato in to approximate 1″ cubes and add to a roasting pan with the unpeeled garlic cloves, drizzle with olive oil, salt & pepper and add to the oven for around 15 minutes.
3. In a large mixing bowl add the spinach, spiralize (or grate) the beetroot and carrot and mix together.
4. In a pan on the hob heat the coconut oil and finely chop the onion. Add to the pan and soften for around 10 minutes.
5. After 15 minutes add the bread to the roasting pan, adding more olive oil to ensure the bread is coated and roast for a further 10 minutes.
6. Add a large handful of pumpkin seeds to the pan with the onions along with 2 tsp maple syrup, a pinch of salt and crack of black pepper, the grated ginger and a finely chopped (de-seeded) red chilli. Keep a medium heat for a further 5-7 minutes or until the pumpkin seeds begin to brown.
7. Once the potatoes and bread are nicely toasted add to the mixing bowl with the spinach and add the onion & pumpkin seeds. Toss and grate a little parmesan on top. Serve immediately.
Warm & Warming!
Follow us on facebook,Twitter, Instagram & Pintrest