I’ve said it before, but anything in breadcrumbs seems to please my 5pm dinner guests! So with my newly regular sourdough making well under way, we’ve also got newly regular sourdough breadcrumbs and I’m newly able to liberally coat whatever the 5pm supper club requests! So this evening was for Fish, Chips & Peas… Some lovely Trout (cheaper and milder in flavour than salmon but equally as nourishing), some organic potatoes, roasted in paprika & olive oil. And peas. It’s a simple kids supper and DIYing it means avoiding any uneccessary additives, processing or packaging and means we can mix it up with the fish. These are made with trout, but could be made with salmon, cod or pollock.
Ingredients (serves 2 hungry children):
2 trout fillets (approx 200g)
2 handfuls frozen peas
1 large baking potato*
Salt & pepper
1 serving homemade tomato ketchup
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180C.
2. line a baking tray with a sheet of baking parchment. Place the two trout fillets on the parchment. Sprinkle with salt & pepper and drizzle a little olive oil. Place in the oven for 15 minutes.
3. Cut the potato in to quarters and each quarter in to thirds. Place on another baking tray, sprinkle with paprika and drizzle with olive oil. Shake them up so the potato is fully coated. Place in the oven for around 25-30 minutes or until the potato is soft and brown.
4. Meanwhile, heat a little olive oil in a pan on the hob, beat an egg in to a bowl and put the breadcrumbs in a separate bowl. Cut the fish fillets in to four pieces (removing the skin). Coat each piece in egg, then breadcrumbs and add to the pan for 2 minutes each side, until the breadcrumbs are toasted.
5. Serve immediately with a side of home-made Ketchup!
* We grow our own potatoes, but not enough for the year, so when I buy them I buy organic. If you haven’t heard of the ‘dirty dozen’ it’s worth having a look at this article. The ‘dirty dozen’ refers to the whole foods which contain the highest pestiside residues. So if you’re unsure as to which foods are best to buy organic, then start with these 12!