This isn’t a fad. Don’t mistake this one for a carb-avoiding gluten-free fashion supper… Although it happens to be those things! For me it’s an alternative, I just didn’t fancy rice, and I do love cauliflower, and it does happen to be delicious! Have you tried my vegetarian Mushroom Pasanda recipe by the way? This is the same recipe (almost) with chicken! So here it is!
Ingredients (serves 2):
1/2 large onion
4 cloves garlic
1/2 thumb ginger
1 red chilli (de-seeded)
1/2 tsp coriander seeds
1 tsp each of ground cinnamon, turmeric & mild curry powder
2 Organic Chicken Breasts
1 can plum tomatoes
1 can coconut milk
100mls white wine
1 small bunch chopped coriander
1 small head of cauliflower
1 handful whole almonds
3 tbsp desiccated coconut
2 tbsp coconut oil
Salt & pepper
1. Heat a tbsp coconut oil in a pan on the hob & pre-head the oven to 200C.
2. Finely slice the onion, crush and chop the garlic and soften in the pan for a few minutes.
3. Stir and grate in the ginger. Slice and de-seed the chilli, chop finely and add to the pan.
4. Season with a pinch of salt & pepper and add the spices. Stir gently and add a little extra coconut oil if the spices become too dry.
5. Slice each chicken breast in to 6 pieces and add to the pan. Stir to seal then add the white wine. Simmer for a few minutes before adding the tomato & coconut milk.
6. Leave to simmer gently with the pan lid on (if you have one) for around 20 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
7. Meanwhile, grate a small head of cauliflower in to a baking tray big enough to spread it out a little. Roughly chop a handful of almonds and add them to the pan along with the desiccated coconut.
8. Drizzle the cauliflower with coconut oil and a pinch of salt & pepper and roast in the oven for around 20-30 minutes. It’ll depend on how thinly spread your cauliflower is as to how quickly it cooks, mine was spread about 1cm deep and I gave it a stir after every 10 minutes or so. It’ll brown a little, but it’ll be warm through and smell nutty and delicious when it’s ready!
9. Serve immediately!