The temperature has dropped again and it seems like everyone is poorly… Mine included. So we’re bundled up with sniffs and snivels and only hot soup and toast will do. That along with chamomile tea and ginger biscuits! No problem though, snuggling on the sofa and reading back to back Roald Dahl is a treat… We’re on ‘Danny the Champion of the World’… so gripping…The link to the site here is great too, lots of lovely interactive Roald Dahl quizzes, recipes and ideals for entertaining kids… So back to the soup. Leek and Potato is always a favourite, but I had a bag of ‘Red Emmelie’ heritage potatoes delivered this week from our good friends at Abel & Cole and they’re delicious. They’ve also given this soup its lovely pink colour… It’s sweet and hearty and full of vegetable goodness! I hope you enjoy it as much as us!
1/2 head large fennel
1 large onion
2 cloves garlic
2 large leeks
6 red emmelie potatoes
1 sachet red miso paste
2 tsp vegetable bouillon
1) Heat a couple of tbsp olive oil in a large pan on the hob.
2) Finely chop the fennel, onion and leek. Crush the garlic and cut the potatoes in to 1″ cubes.
3) Soften the fennel, onion, leek and garlic in the pan for around 10 minutes.
4) Add the potatoes and top with boiling water until just covered.
5) Add the miso paste, vegetable bouillon and generous crack of black pepper.
6) Simmer for around 20 minutes or until the potatoes and fennel are soft. Blend and serve with a drizzle of olive oil and crack of black pepper to taste.