Mondays are for cleaning up after the weekend, sorting laundry, putting away, generally making sense of the mess created by us all having a ‘relaxing’ (read chaotic) weekend at home. Mondays are for Yoga too… There’s a brilliant class at the beautiful Yoga Sp8ce on a Monday afternoon taught by Ruth… It’s always challenging, always blissed out and always reminds me to be good to myself… So feeling virtuous (after a weekend of over-indulgence) here’s a fab meat-free Monday recipe to kick start a healthy week, before another over indulgent weekend at the Hersham Beer Festival!! See you there…
Ingredients (Serves 2):
1 medium sweet potato
1/2 head cauliflower
1 cup red camargue rice
1 400g can chickpeas
2 handfuls almonds
1/2 large white onion
1 tsp paprika
1 tbsp tamari
1 tsp garam masala
1.Heat the oven to 200C.
2. Bring a saucepan of water to the boil and add the rice, along with a pinch of salt and pinch of saffron. Allow to simmer for around 12-15 minutes or until tender (but with a little bite).
3. Meanwhile cut the sweet potato in to 8 wedges. Place in a roasting tin and drizzle with olive oil and a pinch of sea-salt.
4. Place the cauliflower half in a separate roasting tin, drizzle with olive oil and dust with the paprika.
5. Place the sweet potato and cauliflower in to the pre-heated oven and roast for around 20 minutes (or until tender).
6. In a large saucepan or wok bring around 100mls of water to a simmer. Trim to the tops and tails of the leeks and slice in half length-ways. Continue to slice length-ways to create noodles. Place in to the simmering water and add the Tamari. Simmer for around 5 minutes (or until the leeks are tender). Drain and set aside.
7. Dry the saucepan with kitchen roll and return to the heat with a drizzle of olive oil. Finely slice the onion and add to the pan.
8. Roughly chop the almonds and add to the pan with the onions.
9. Drain and rinse the chickpeas and add to the pan with the onion and the garam masala. Stir until thoroughly covered and beginning to brown.
10. Serve in a big bowl & enjoy!