What do you mean, what am I talking about? It’s not such a long story, so I’ll tell you, but first you must know that this is a sugar free, gluten-free banana bread recipe that will not disappoint. It’s moist, it’s sweet and it’s moreish… So cook up a storm with your overripe bananas and let me know how it goes? As far as the blog title goes, being a life-long music junkie, certain words give me song triggers…The link here to bananarama is obvious, but when I think of bananarama, I think of my 12 year old friend who thought the lyrics to ‘Love in the first degree’ were ‘Guilty as a gherkin bee’ instead of ‘Guilty as a girl can be’… Can you feel my internal combustion from there? Private giggles aside… here’s the recipe…
4 really overripe bananas, the mushier the better
100g buckwheat flour
100g ground almonds
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp vanilla bean paste
6 tbsp agave nectar
Juice 1 lemon
1 tbsp mixed spice
1 Handful Pinenuts
Small bar of 100% chocolate to grate on top
So here’s your banana bread soundtrack… method below!
1) Pre-heat the oven to 180C (I used a conventional oven so you might want to adjust for a fan oven)
2) Mash the bananas in a large mixing bowl, beat in the eggs, agave, vanilla and lemon juice.
3) Mix through the buckwheat flour, ground almonds, baking powder, bicarb and mixed spice.
4) Transfer to an oiled and floured loaf tin (or line the loaf tin with baking parchment)
5) Sprinkle the pinenuts on top and drizzle a little extra agave.
6) Bake for 45 minutes or until a knife comes out clean.
7) Remove from the oven and grate chocolate on top immediately so it melts.
I’ve just enjoyed a slice with a cup of green tea while I’m writing this… yum! Enjoy! And if you’re keen for a heads up on recipes, come and find me on instagram…
Instagram I Twitter I Facebook