So the bountiful August is well and truly in swing… filled with beans, potatoes, herbs, carrots, garlic, beetroot and of course courgettes… Our Allotmenting this year has been less productive than in previous years, mainly because I’ve been focused on getting my yoga class up and running alongside studying…I’m spread pretty thin but Tim and the kids have done a fab job of just about staying on top of the growth…and salvaging veg before the birds / rabbits / deer get there! So here’s a vegan ratatouille recipe, originally posted on my instagram account, tried and tested by the lovely Mel Bevan (who’s family have given their seal of approval)!
Ingredients (serves 2):
1 red onion
2 cloves garlic
1/2 red pepper
1 red chilli
Pinch sea salt and crack of black pepper
Sprig of fresh rosemary and thyme
1 can plum tomatoes
8 medium mushrooms
1 tsp agave nectar
1 large courgette
1 tbsp rapeseed oil
1) Heat a tbsp rapeseed oil in a large pan or wok.
2) Finely slice the onions and peppers and crush the garlic and soften on a low heat for around 10 minutes.
3) Add a chopped (de-seeded) chilli, pinch of salt and pepper and the Rosemary and Thyme. Stir and add the tinned tomatoes.
4) Squish the tomatoes in the pan and allow to gently simmer. Top up with a little extra water if required.
5) Add the agave nectar, sliced mushrooms and spiralised courgette. Simmer until all the veg is soft. Serve immediately…
Let me know how you get on… and definitely come and find me on social media if you’re there…I’d love to hear from you…